Monday, November 13, 2006

Figure Skating





My daughter has decided that she wants to be a figure skater when she grows up. These cards reflect that new passion.

One neat thing about figure skaters is that thier bodies contort into the strangest poses. One rarely has an opportunity to draw the human form like that, arms and legs stretched and pulled in all sorts of complicated ways. This was quite an exercise for the artist.

I love how the laces on the two skate ACEO turned out. Notice the striped tights - those stripes were painted completely freehand with no do-overs. I'm quite proud of them. LOL.

4 comments:

Caylynn said...

It is amazing the way figure skaters contort their bodies into all kinds of different positions.

My sister went through a phase where she wanted to be a figure skater too. Took lessons for a while, until she got to the point where my parents would have started to buy ice time and private lessons for her. She stopped then, but she really enjoyed it for a while.

I love the detail on the skate cards. It's amazing how you can get so much detail with a brush on such a small painting. Again, I truly admire your talent. :)

Deborah said...

Michelle,
Love your latest artwork!

Yes, let's link our blogs together...I have been wanting to do that, but I don't know how.

Jo Ann Schneider Farris said...

Michelle:

I stumbled on your figure skating cards today. They are beautiful!

Can I share them on my website?

FigureSkating.About.com

JO ANN Schneider Farris
About Figure Skating
http://figureskating.about.com

www.About.com
About.com is part of The New York Times Company

Michelle said...

Jo ann, please do! That would be cool. If you add a link to my blog and "copyright Michelle Wiebe 2006" somewhere, it would be perfect.

Thanks so much for your kind words. The originals are up for auction until Sunday on ebay (the link is on my main page)