Monday, January 22, 2007

Kalanchoe on Windowsill - Rough Sketch


I have a triptych commission from a dear customer of mine. The original idea was a long painting of terracotta pots housing geraniums. I couldn't find geraniums and ended up with a flower called Kalanchoe. It has the same deep pinky red colouring, but with separate lush little flowers in bunches.

Instead of terracotta, it has evolved into light creamy pottery in a variety of shapes and will be lit by the sun from behind. I can hardly wait to get in there and detail all the shadows.

All of this will be done with a thick lined texture, an extremely fun technique to do lots of thin washes over so that the colour settles into the grooves and gives almost a two toned effect.

I'll keep you all updated. When the canvas dries I will be working on some ACEO to keep up on auction. I find I like to switch from larger canvas to super tiny trading card to keep things hopping. I think it should be a very productive week.

2 comments:

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Productive week indeed! I can't wait to see this painting as it progresses!

I haven't tried any contrejour painting (I think that's what it's called when it's a painting done with the light behind a subject, usually on a window?), but I love seeing it.

Really can't wait to see it, thanks for sharing your sketch!

Take care,

I.

Deborah said...

Me, too! I can't wait to see how this painting turns out, Michelle! It sounds intriguing to say the least.