Sunday, January 28, 2007

Red Haired Night Mermaid and Details





Here is an idea of how detailed an ACEO can get. Remember, the original is only 2.5" x 3.5".

I like keeping it a painting 100% through so I had to figure out how to get super fine lines without using pens. It took over 100 ACEO to really get the hang of it. Even then, I can only do so much a day before I need to take out my contacts and give my eyes a break.

I hope she does well at auction, I really had a great time playing with the colour gradations in her hair and the background. She's pretty saucy too. LOL.

You can find her here: http://tinyurl.com/2ralso

7 comments:

Ivan Chan Studio said...

It's amazing how long it takes to get the hang of something! Thanks for sharing that bit about the fine lines--it really makes me appreciate your work even more than I already do (if that's possible).

Some people have asked me what the big deal is about art, or why should it cost so much because, after all, "it's just paint."

Tsk. What they miss, or perhaps don't miss...! It's like playing flute for an ox, as my mother would say.

Regardless, this is beauty barely contained on the 2.5" x 3.5" support you've painted on. I'm swooning.

I.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Love her hair and belly button. :)

These are so iconic--I do hope you're scanning them so that they can be put into a collected work some day! :)

I.

Caylynn said...

Beautiful Michelle! :) I am impressed with the incredible detail you manage to get into such a tiny work of art! Just gorgeous. :)

Your ACEO almost tempt me to start collecting mermaids. ;) Hopefully you'll do some more cat ACEO in the future and I can bid on those (despite my lack of success in winning your earlier auctions.)

Michelle said...

Ivan, this is why I am so excited when people prefer to pay a bit extra for the original instead of amassing a quanity of prints.

I love looking at paintings over and over again, they change so much in the light... endlessly interesting.

Caylynn - I haven't forgotten about kitties... soon, soon. Kind of working through my mermaid phase and then I'll need a change of pace for a bit - stay tuned! :)

Penny Cork said...

Michelle, I love the faces that you create...always delicate and expressive...just beautiful!

Penny :)

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Michelle, I love your red haired mermaid, she's gorgeous and I love the way all the colors flow together!

Windy City Blues said...

I love your "Red Haired Night Mermaid"! It's amazing how itty-bitty the painting is!