Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Note About Texture

For the past several years I've been experimenting with painting images over a thick combed texture. Lately I've been really exploring this over a series of canvases.


First I prep my canvas by taking a gel medium and combing the surface to create a loose pattern that sweeps somewhat evenly across the plain.


Once it is dried I start laying out my image. It can be quite difficult to get accurate lines and edges when you are painting over such a bumpy surface.


When the painting is nearing completion, I do a series of washes over the image. The thin paint settles into the grooves and this adds a whole other dimension to the piece.


3 comments:

Patti said...

Hi, Michelle! You've been tagged!...

Here's the scoopidy-doopidy: When you are "tagged" please give 7 random facts about your sweet self on your blog.
Please write things that are a habit, unusual, or that no-one else knows, as well as the rules of the game.
You then need to tag seven others and list their names on your blog.
Please leave a post on the blogs of those you tag so they know that they have been tagged and to read your blog...and tag 7 more and so on.
No worries. No pressure. No time constraints - just enjoy ~ xo ~

Patti
pholkart*blessings

Ivan Chan Studio said...

I'm still impressed at how well you can create your image over such a textured surface! It's almost as if you paint the image first and then put the texture over it!

As a proud owner of one your pieces, I can say that the texture is marvelous, dances with light, and adds a sensual, tactile component to your work that's just delightful.

Take care,

I.

Brendy Vaughn said...

"It can be quite difficult to get accurate lines and edges when you are painting over such a bumpy surface."

Indeed. As I was looking at your paintings, before I read what you wrote, I was thinking that very thing. Very impressive work.