Thursday, June 07, 2007

Rowhouses









I've been working on this piece for a while now. I really took my time to get the angles and lines right. Architectural stuff like this always feels like I'm working on a puzzle in many ways.
I took this photograph in an older part of town that is tearing down older homes and putting up newer homes that look like older homes. I've been drawn to landscapes that have new construction on them. Perhaps it is because of my booming local economy.
I love how the colours came out on this, the reds, yellows and purples just sing when they are placed next to the greens, blues and browns. The white lines you see on the painting that are criss crossing over the image are not painted - its just the light hitting the texture, very hard to photograph without a little showing up here and there. I splurged this time and did this piece on a gallery wrapped canvas (1.5" depth) as opposed my usual standard wrapped (3/4" depth) - it looks extra professional, if I do say so myself.
You can find this painting here:

3 comments:

Garden Painter Art said...

I am just in awe of your textures!! I especially love this row house painting. The brick red is magnificent.

Kim
Garden Painter Art
gnarly-dolls

Sarah said...

This painting reminds me so much of Brooklyn, except the newness. And I love, love, love the dishes one! If I had any money, that would be in my apartment right now :)

Ivan Chan Studio said...

This is gorgeous, Michelle! And your post is hilarious (tearing down the old buildings and putting up new ones that look old...LOL!).

Take care,

I.