Friday, June 13, 2008

New and Used







I have this thing about old cd/record stores and used book stores. That yellowed light, the racks and racks of items and the low lying musty smell all bring a sense of comfort to me. I keep being drawn back to it.

Also, another thing I keep being drawn back to is portraiture. I started out only wanting to do portraits then decided to work on other subjects that didn't come as easily. Painting portraits feels the same as a well worn pair of slippers. Restful and relaxing.

You can find out more about this 12" x 18" canvas here.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

I love the sense of depth you have given in this painting... the shelving seems to go on forever into the back of the shop. In addition, the golden glow from the front of the shelving and the floor is wonderful! Detail in the cd's and the great job on the shopper just make this one a fabulous piece!

Veronica Funk said...

It's nice to see this piece completed...like you, I love to see an artist's process. It's even more fun to see the work in real life.

Jessica said...

Oh, I love it! Definitely brings back memories for me!

Ivan Chan Studio said...

This painting is beautiful and captures your love of the record store (and the experience of shopping/browsing) perfectly.

It's funny how we can pick challenging subjects instead of the one we're comfortable with, eh? But then I think that brings something back to our original love.

Take care,

I.

Michelle said...

Thanks everyone!! :)

Cheryl said...

Really love this one Michelle. A great way to capture a portrait. His posture is perfect - just the position we all assume while in the depths of finding treasures in a record store. Well done, girl!

Anetka said...

I like the way you've managed to capture the mood...and I can even smell old wood, the dust and paper covers:)