Sunday, November 16, 2008

On the Easel: Prairie Landscape - step three


One of my favorite things to capture in an evening sky is the switch that occurs as the sun dips below the horizon, the clouds become the darker part and the sky seems brighter. Such a change from the fluffy bright white clouds against the deep blue sky of the morning.

Its funny because I didn't quite notice it for the longest time - my brain took the switch for granted. When I finally looked up and noticed which was the brighter value, I couldn't get enough of that.

Trying to convey this change in a way that is unobtrusive and looks "normal" to my viewer has been a challenge I've been tackling for a while now. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it!

You will notice that in this step I've added warm hues to the palette - yellow and red. That is the other part about sunsets that I love to play with, how to sneak as much colour as possible in without it looking overwhelmed.

2 comments:

Veronica Funk said...

This is really beautiful Michelle...by the way, I've just tagged you on my blog.

cbdeoro said...

wonderful, you've captured the movement of they sky.