Friday, January 09, 2009

On the Easel: Shelf - step six


Now I have reached my favorite part of any painting. The major details have been laid out, the colours and whatnot are somewhat refined, all that is left is reworking the complete picture.

By this I mean stepping away from the easel and have a really good look. I'll stick this upstairs on my shelf and sit on my couch with a good book tomorrow and then have a look at what sticks out as needing work.

I can see some lettering stuff and some shadows already, I know the longer I look the more little things will become obvious.

After I fix those things then I work to balance things out - some more shadows, upping a highlight here, toning down a colour there. Helping the eye have lots of movement throughout the picture without it seeming too busy or having any dead spots.

2 comments:

danocreative said...

This painting looks good!

I was wondering how you photograph your paintings. Do you use a light kit? I am looking into buying some lighting equipment but I don't know what to get.

Lori Andrews said...

Wonderful Still Life!!! :) Such great details!