Monday, January 26, 2009

Sketch Week - Curling Brooms in Rack

Sometimes it is helpful to pick subjects that don't particularily appeal to you. This forces you to just stop and observe. At times you might connect with your subject and make a meaningful image. Other times you get a solid bit of practice in that doesn't rely on "what you think you know how to draw".

In this case, I was waiting for my son to finish up his curling practice. I was looking around to see what I could draw - there weren't many options where I was sitting beyond this little rack.

What I was looking for here were the angles and bends of the ellipses in the rack and labels on the broom handles. The way the bristles were depicted was also important to me.

I got lost a few times with the long lines of the handles meeting the relevant places in the rack, but overall I was watching a lot closer than in previous sketches. Partly because I couldn't fake my way though it like I have a tendency of doing.

I wish I had spent a bit more time on the shadows hitting the wall - that is a tough thing when you are sketching from real life. You have a finite amount of time and either the light changes or you get up and move on. If you aren't finished before this happens, you may be out of luck.

No comments: