Monday, February 16, 2009

Painting Study: Oranges on Plate


Sold

These little studies have just got my creativity pumping! I think because I can manage to do a decent job in one afternoon, it takes a lot of pressure off me. Lately I've just felt so inspired by so many little subjects sitting around my house, it is great to have format like these 6" x 6" masonite paintings to work in.

As you can see, I have a bit of a thing going on for this little blue and white plate. I have a stack of little plates in my cupboard - none of them are alike. Whenever I go to an Asian grocery store or mall I browse through the shelves of dainty cups and side plates. I'm looking for patterns mainly, sometimes an odd shaped dish or glaze colour will jump out and beg me to take it home.

My daughters love it when I'm playing with my plates. I will leave them piled on my coffee table and soon I will hear the voices of teddy bears and dolls having an impromptu tea party. They will rearrange my careful compositions into something much more suitable for entertaining.

The oranges on this plate became my subject today when I discovered they were too sour to eat. I was very surprised when I bit into one - they look so juicy and sweet. I guess its a situation where looks were deceiving!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Beautiful! I love this color combination and the translucency of the oranges! Glad you found a sue for them beyond throwing them out! You have been very busy blogging since my last visit... spending time catching up was time well spent!