Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Painting Study: Sugar Bowl and Sake Cup

I hope my readers don't mind that I've been taking you along a little journey the past few weeks. I really want to be posting on my blog regularily but I get myself caught up in this idea that I should only be doing new orginal paintings that are ready to purchase.

I actually sketch and paint more, I don't post about the practice stuff often though. I thought it would be interesting to my readers to open this up to you so you can see the hidden side of my work.

This painting study isn't perfect - I'm learning that it is okay to put these up on the internet! I spent about 1.5 hours on this 6" x 6" masonite panel. I wanted ellipses and glossy opaque colour. I was also quite interested in how the shadows fell on the white surface. I painted this from real life, hence the inprecision. I did snap a picture in case I was interrupted, but I did not need to use it.

I feel like I'm starting to understand the sugar bowl a little better - it is the first time I've painted it. The little red sake cup has had a few turns in my plate collection paintings. I love the reddish orange colour against the blue interior so much!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I love the richness of the colors in this painting, Michelle! Beautiful!