Monday, February 02, 2009

Sketch: Sugar Bowl and Sake Cup

This year I'd like to get back into exercising my observation techniques and fine motor skills. One way I plan to do that is regular sketching and small study paintings.

I find my large scale pieces really benefit from this regular practice. Just like any other skill, you tend you to improve and maintain a higher level of ability if you are doing drills and working the muscles on a consistant basis.

I also want to paint from life a lot more. It is easier to do this on a smaller basis because the light doesn't change so fast that you lose your focus.

Today I'm posting the sketch - make note of the light sources, they are slightly different in the study painting and there was only a short time span between the two. Check back tomorrow!

No comments: