Friday, February 27, 2009

Why You Should Buy Art Friday: Emotional Response

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the connection you can get to a few daubs of pigment on a canvas. I don't know what it is, but there is definitely a tangible response to be had from a stunning piece of art.

It is similar to a reaction one can have to a stirring piece of music. Creative acts are so closely tied into emotions it is natural that one would want to seek out works that coax a particular feeling in the viewer.

Again, this is one of those things that is really difficult to convey online. Sure, you can see a picture that stirs you even with the cold light of a monitor, but I really want my viewers to stretch themeselves and seek out work in real life that illicits a rush of feeling.

What about art does this exactly? I can't answer that. Sometimes it is a hot smear of red paint dashed across a large surface. Sometimes it is a quiet moment caught in a portrait of a woman unaware that she is the artist's subject, sometimes it is a frenetic tangle of lines... literally different strokes for different folks.

Whatever it is that stirs your soul, my one wish is that you (the reader) take a moment this week to experience that emotional rush. It isn't hard, gallery, cafe, library - those are quick and easy fixes.

If you are up for the challenge, then I ask that you stretch yourself even further and make a deposit on something that you can hang in your own house that will thrill your senses for years to come. C'mon, I double dog dare you!

Anyways, if you had an emotional response to my painting above and want to know more, feel free to click here.

No comments: