Thursday, March 19, 2009

On the Easel: Fairytale Commission - step three (mermaid)

The fairy isn't quite to this stage yet, so I'll post the mermaid solo.

This step is the reason why I post the crummy looking early steps. I have an almost perverse enjoyment of posting transformations from sketchy, to slightly recognizable, to not bad, to better to wow.

We are starting to turn the corner with this piece. I had to stop myself from working this to completion in order to catch the fairy up to this stage (that keeps them looking similar and keeps the palettes really close).

I know exactly where I want to take this from here, but I'll get her counterpart to this point before I go further. Keep checking back!

2 comments:

Christi said...

I asked Abi if she liked the painting and she said that she wants to turn her baby into a mermaid, so I think that means she thinks it looks pretty good. I like seeing the transformation!

Veronica Funk said...

I keep meaning to ask you if you use mediums to thin your paints - each piece you do has such nice layers.