Monday, March 09, 2009

Painting Study: Shot of Espresso


Sold

6" x 6"
Acrylic on Masonite
2009

I've been meaning to paint this little cup for a while now. It isn't actually an espresso cup by design, it belongs to my daughter's tea set.

When I was thinking about painting it, I thought that it would look more interesting with a beverage inside. A shot of espresso fit perfectly. The cup is quite rounded, I love how it gets nice thick highlights and shadows.

The crema (the orange-y coating that sticks to the side and surface) was the most fun to paint. In a former life I was a Starbucks Barista for a few years - having a chance to capture this in paint was very enjoyable. I like the slight stain on the rim and saucer - brings a touch of warmth to the cool white tones.

Looking at this painting makes me want to have another!

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Yummmm... looks good enough to drink! Do you actually have an expresso machine, or is it just that your coffee is strong enough to be considered expresso? :-) Regardless of which it is, would love to come and share a coffee with you soon!

Michelle said...

Thanks Joanne! I do have a pretty decent machine - I make some fancier things on it sometimes too. :)

You name a day you are free and we'll set something up!