Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Sketchbook: Woman in the Waiting Room

My apologies. This week has been insanely chaotic. I have a commission, 2 items I am prepping for and a zillion family related appointments booked. Painting for ebay and the blog has been on the back burner. Thank you for your messages though, I am alive and well!

Today I had an opportunity to wait during another appointment - this room was filled with people. I felt kind of gutsy whipping out my sketchbook, but I didn't have a book and the magazines were nothing that grabbed my attention.

My strategy here was to be undetected by my subjects and to not have anyone strike up a conversation (which would effectively end my sketching and my undercover ability) so I plugged in some headphones and crouched in my chair making sure that I was flicking my eyes equally around the room and not making direct eye contact with anyone.

I got a few good sketches once I was warmed up. This lady in particular caught my attention. She had a scarf around her neck and glasses - both of which are lively subject matters to capture with only a few strokes of the pen.

No comments: