Thursday, May 28, 2009

Painting Study: Spring Blossoms


Spring Blossoms
6" x 6"
Acrylic on Masonite
2009

This blue vase is actually the sole survivor of a set of four hand blown drinking glasses a friend gave me years ago.

It has this murky blue green colour that I absolutely adore. Anytime I have the opportunity to collect a few spring blossoms, I tend to put them in this glass. I don't know what compells me to do this. I think it is partly because the green of the leaves against this colour makes them extra vibrant. The blossoms also look extra pinkish against this backdrop. Lastly, there is a greenish cast to the blossoms that fall below the rim. I can't seem to get enough of that.

The shadow was pretty fun to paint as well!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Lovely piece, Michelle! Aren't you glad that spring is finally here????