Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Painting Study: Garden Tulips


6" x 6"
Acrylic on Masonite
2009
These tulips are sadly gone the way of the Alberta wind and rain. I snapped the picture about 2 weeks ago and finally had a chance to put it down in paint. They actually aren't from my garden, but that of a good friend.
My tulips are a screaming bright red and totally don't suit my house. I keep thinking I will dig them up and put in a variety of colours, but I never do and every year I have an intense red welcome to spring. I kind of love them. I have a few pics on file that may make it to a few studies in the next few weeks.
(I kind of agonize about how I should describe a picture like that - is it a landscape? Is it a still life? I kind of refer to both when I get a chance, because I really can't make up my mind. I'm sure that "technically" it is a landscape, but I say "Bah! Keep an open mind!")

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Love the colors and lines in this study! I know that it would look quite stunning in person. :-)