Thursday, June 11, 2009

Painting Study: Two Girls Reading

6" x 6"
Acrylic on Masonite
2009
One thing my family loves to do is frequent used book stores. Both my husband and I have strong urges to linger in these musty places for long periods hoping to find a few treasures. Our kids have happily embraced this tradition.

One system we have devised is a rule that the other two kids have to read a small story to our youngest (who isn't reading yet) while everyone else browses. This has worked beautifully as the older two are quite generous in this respect (they enjoy the story as well), our youngest gets two stories read to her automatically, and we catch a few more minutes to browse the titles.

My two daughters have this tendency to cuddle up in these situations. They are quite close despite their three year age difference and they do not seem to mind being in close proximity to one another. Often times they are cocooned on the couch watching tv or in in the lower bunk bed playing with paper dolls.

When story time fell to my middle daughter, I was not surprised to come around the bookshelves and see them huddled together in the girliest pink floral chair I'd ever laid eyes on. It begged a picture and a painting. I literally could not get my mind off of painting this little scene all evening after taking this. It had to wait two days, but I am not disappointed with the results.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

This is a gorgeous painting, Michelle!!! I love how you can just see their heads. Beautiful.