Sunday, October 25, 2009

Where Did My Art Come From? (part one)


I guess to begin the story about where I am going, I must revisit the place that I have come from. So. Lets start at the beginning.

From a very early age, I have loved drawing. I have loved making stories come alive with little situations played out visually. I was a little awkward socially in my early years, not the most or least popular, but definitely an odd duck at times.

I would draw on almost anything. My mother grew tired of buying me fresh paper all the time. She would admonish me to fill up the scenarios with details, little flowers, clouds and birds (smart lady). Both sides of the paper were utilized for these pictures. She would squirrel away a supply of card board panty hose inserts and carefully opened white envelopes to ensure a ready supply of blank surfaces.

One favorite thing for me was when my father would bring home reams of dot matrix printer paper from his work place. The fold out quality was ideal for my running story lines. I kid you not, my favorite thing in the world was to shut myself away in my room and draw out ever evolving stories. The endless folds of minty green striped paper with tear away edges would get my imagination running full speed. I could hardly hold myself back when he would show up with a thick stack of this stuff.

Now, I am not going to pretend that these were masterworks in any way, shape or form. The plot line usually revolved around princess sisters, one older mean one and one long suffering and sweet younger one and how the younger sister would reveal the older sister's errant ways. It kept me drawing and gave me an outlet.

3 comments:

Janet W said...

I love this little story about you, Michelle! I'm interested to see where your personal "search" takes you.

Joanne said...

Awwww - I can just imagine you drawing like that. I think Em might be somewhat like you were as a child. I didn't know you were old enough to remember dot matix printer paper!!! hehehe Looking forward to the next time you blog to learn more about where you came from. HUGS!

Michelle said...

Janet, I'm interested in seeing where it takes me too!

Joanne, I can remember having a Commodore Vic 20... jeepers....