Thursday, October 29, 2009

Where Did My Art Come From? (part three)


When I was around 7 years old, I discovered something that absolutely rocked my world. Having recently mastered reading, I was starting to feel a little more confident with navigating out of the board books in the local library.

I didn't understand the Dewey Decimal system, so when I found this treasure I had to remember the row and rack from where they came. To this day, I am haunted by one of these books in particular because I don't remember the title or author, just that it had a tattered deep royal blue cover.

The thing that took my art to the next level were "How to Draw" and "How to Cartoon" books. I would wind my way through the library (worried the whole time that they would have re-organized the racks and my treasures would be lost) and find another book. I would take it home and literally devour the contents in a couple of days.

Need to draw an owl? No problem. Reindeer? I got it covered. (in fact, I remember kids in grade 3 coming by my desk during a Christmas art project asking me to help them draw Rudolph) The only thing I didn't care to draw were male figures (I'm still not really into that). My absolute favorite were drawing ladies in fancy ballroom gowns. (that princess thing again) Any book that had something along those lines had me hook, line and sinker. Over and over and over.

The limited supply at the library soon was exhausted so I would re check out those books. When my parents clued into that, little Scholastic "How to Cartoon" books were under the tree at Christmas.

From that age onward, I knew I wanted to be an artist when I grew up. More specifically, a cartoonist.

1 comment:

Janet W said...

Oh my, this is like reading a mystery story! I love these little gems about artistic you!