Sunday, November 15, 2009

Painting Studies: 3 Crows


Crow Study 1
6" x 6"
Acrylic on Masonite
2009


Crow Study 2
6" x 6"
Acrylic on Masonite
2009

Crow Study 3
6" x 6"
Acrylic on Masonite
2009

These little studies came about after I did a fabulous swap with a good friend of mine, Cheryl Bakke Martin. She requested a small crow painting in exchange for a beautiful bracelet (which is now my favorite piece that I own - Thank you, C.!)

I thought about what I wanted to do for a few days, and this is what I came up with - I figured I would do a few poses so that she would have the luxury of picking her favorite and it gave me a chance to really flex my brushwork muscles.

One thing that my friend and I have in common is a love of a "loose feel" to the brush strokes in a painting. I really wanted to achieve that here. In a recent painting, I had so much fun painting the black feathers in the hat, I thought I would go in that direction.

Basically, once I had the composition mapped out on these little paintings, my prime goal was to lay my angled brush and "push off" to make clear deliniations on the light background. I love how they are reminiscent of Rorschach tests - striking black blots on a light page. I really enjoyed this exercise.

After my friend chooses her favorite, the rest will be taken to my next endeavor:

Artisan Show and Sale
Saturday, November 21st, 2009
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
4 Varmoor Pl NW, Calgary, AB, Canada

1 comment:

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Such evocative paintings! A mark of your talent and skill that you get so much into the silhouette that some people labor intensively over in the intricate details (and are hardly as successful as you are in these paintings).