Monday, July 18, 2011

Painting: African Landscape


36" x 36" 
Acrylic on Canvas
2011

This is the first finished painting from my trip. I went back to the good ol' square format. There are a few things that are new, and a few that are old. 

Some new: 

Red Oxide as my base colour. Yowzers. Not Yellow Ochre? What? But all your other paintings from the beginning of time have a Yellow Ochre base! I know, I know. Africa changed me. 

Look at those unashamed greens. This was a real exercise in bringing the vibrant hues in line with the clouds. I kept bringing up the green, then toning it down in thin layers. 

Some old: 

No texture. As mentioned previously, there are lots of thin layers. This reminds me of how I painted when I was in high school. Thin wash over thin wash. Almost painful in some ways because change takes a long time to become apparent. 

I've been trying to strike a balance between the thin washes with thick daubs of paint in some areas (no texture though) I'm going to keep tinkering with this idea to see how it progresses. 

1 comment:

Cynthia Buckshon said...

Lovely Michelle! The clouds are amazing :)