Saturday, July 27, 2013

African Girl


African Girl
24" x 24"
Acrylic on Canvas
2012

Recently, I was looking through my image files and found a few paintings that I have never blogged about, this is one of them. For those of you who saw the APL Show, you might remember this one. 

This painting took far longer than I anticipated to finish... I got stuck in a very big way. The solution is tied to the Koi painting - those thin washes of paint unlocked what I was trying to do and gave this painting the movement around the canvas that it was lacking before I buried parts of it in washes of paint. 

When I went to Bulembu, I took many pictures of the people and buildings, I'm still sorting through those images in my mind. I'm surprised that it has been so hard to paint things from my travels  - especially since this trip I took with the specific goal of doing a series of works. 

No comments: