Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thursday Confessional #10 - What this Confessional is Teaching Me


 

Cloud 1
6" x 6"
Acrylic on Board
2014

I painted this little landscape on Wednesday. First time I've sat down in my studio space to paint since early summer. I needed that return to routine. I've been painting, just not in my home in my usual way. 

I painted this on a cradled panel using my usual palette but I also played with a Molotow paint marker that I got as a sample (they make some seriously cool graffiti products, no they didn't pay me to say that - I'm not that important!). It is the bright orange highlight you see in the clouds and linework. I liked experimenting with it. I have a few more of these panels I'm working on just to get limbered up, so I think I'll keep playing. 

So, this weeks confessional topic: what this confessional is teaching me...

1. I can keep blogging and blogging without posting new work. That kind of weirds me out. I think that's why I was so motivated to paint and post this week. I don't just want to blog about thoughts only, I'm a painter, I need more posts on paintings. 

2. I think I've developed a thicker skin over the years. I've posted some things on the confessional that were hard to be honest about - I don't like sticking my neck out there being vulnerable, but I think it's that same vulnerability that brings art about in its due course. 

3. Speaking of the art, I think this confessional has been good in the sense that by being vulnerable in my posting, I'm starting to let myself get vulnerable in my art. I don't like that, but I know it will result in more interesting art.

There's more I'm learning but I feel like I'm getting too wordy, not enough painty. 


No comments: